This 1756 map of Acadia shows a number of small villages. Here are some descriptive notes on Minas area settlements.
Rivest Village (Mount Denson)
Eteinne Rivest lived here. were among the first Acadians to live here.
Village Babin (Falmouth)
The Babin family settled this area in the late 1680s on the west bank of the Pigiguit River (Avon River).
Ste. Famille Cemetery (419 Gabriel Road, Falmouth)
Discovered in 1996 when the area was being cleared for a subdivision, a memorial now stands on the site. The Ste. Famille parish was created on the west side of the Pigiguit River in 1722.
Forest village was located near today's Ste. Famille Winery.
Acadian Forest Farm (Mines Road)
The inhabitants believe that the stone caves along the western branch of the River Avon are the ruins of an Acadian village. It is believed that the oldest apple orchards were planted by the original Acadians.
Village Pierre Landry (Castle Frederick)
The Landry family lived here in the early 1700s. You can see a old wells, several Acadian cellars and evidence of a mill.
Village Pierre Germain Landry (Windsor Forks)
Germain Pierre Landry and Marie Melanson lived here in early 1690.
Village Abraham Landry (Gudgeon Brook, Route 14)
The family of Abraham and Marie Landry Guibault lived along Gudgeon Brook in the early 1700s. The dykes at the mouth of the creek, built first by the Acadians, were maintained until 1968 when the roadway was built in Windsor.
Village Breaux (Lebreau Brook, Route 14)
Members of the Breaux family have lived along Lebreau Creek. There were the Acadian dikes at the mouth of the creek and a mill.
l'Assomption Church (King Street, Windsor)
A Jesuit missionary built a church near here around 1698. The entire area around the Pigiguit River was in the parish at first; after 1722 it was just the east side of the river. After the fire of the church to 1752, a building in the Fort Edward area was used for mass.
Village Trahan (Three Mile Plains)
The Trahan family lived near the head of Lebreau Brook in the early 1690s.
St. Croix (St. Croix)
There was a sawmill and a mill to grind around here. The Battle of St. Croix was fought here in 1750.
Village Leblanc (Wentworth Road)
The members of the LeBlanc family built dykes on the marshes on this side of the River. At low tide the Acadians could cross the river without wetting their knees.
Five Houses (Wentworth Road / Cemetery Road)
This village was named for the five Acadian houses that were here before 1755. They were located to the west of the St. Croix River at the foot of "Battle Hill."
Vincent Village (Mantua)
It is believed that members of the Vincent family lived here in early 1690. Dikes, originally built by the Acadians, continue to protect fields against high tides in these rivers.
Thibodeau Village (Poplar Grove)
This village was founded in early 1690 by Pierre Thibodeau and Anne Bourg. There are traces of evidence of Acadian dykes on the marshes and grind to a mill on a creek near here.
Avondale / Newport Landing
In the painting of Fort Edward made in 1753 by Captain John Hamilton, there are Acadian houses on the other side of river. The local residents say there are Acadian cellars throughout the area.
The Acadian settlers were built aboiteaux and empty marshes along this river. Local residents talk about Acadian cellars up to the Stanley River.
Cogmagun River (Cogmagun Road, Walton Woods Road)
Approximately 200 Acadians lived along this river and many were buried in this cemetery before 1755.
Summerville (Route 215)
Up to 1940 Big Creek was known as Cajun Creek at Marsters Road and was called Cajun Creek Road. The inhabitants mention evidence of Acadian cellars in this area.
Village Chevarie (Cheverie, Route 215)
There are traces of evidence that the marshes along Cheverie Creek were protected by acadian dikes.
Little River (Walton, Route 215)
Walton has been known to Acadians as the Small or Little River. A map made in 1754 indicates four Acadian houses to the east of river. Residents say that there was a french cemetery in the village.
La Grande Anse (Tennecape, Route 215)
Tennecape has been known to Acadians as "La Grande Anse." Records of 18th century indicate that there were two Acadian houses to the east of the creek near a marsh.
Village Christmas (Noel, Route 215)
It is believed that the village took its name from Noel Doiron who lived here in the 1730s. Before 1755 it was the largest Acadian village in this area with a dozen families.
Village Robert (Selma / Maitland, Route 215)
In 1701 family members said Henry dit Robert lived here. There were Acadian dykes on the marshes and a mill to grind grain on a creek near here.
Mission Sainte-Anne (Shubenacadie, Route 215)
An old Mi'kmaq encampment was located near here. Towards the 1720s, this place was the site of a Indian chapel, the Mission Sainte-Anne. Father Leloutre served this mission after 1738.
Shubenacadie River (Route 2, Route 215)
This river was part of a road Mi'kmaq and Acadian crossing 115 rivers and lakes between the Bay of Fundy and the Port of Halifax.
Village Hebert (Fort Ellis)
Pierre Hebert's family lived on the north side of the junction of the Shubenacadie and the Stewiacke Rivers. Fort Ellis was built there in 1761.
Most of this is translated from the Hants County website.