In his book, Denys
reflected on Port Royal as a prisoner in 1653.
“There are numbers of meadows on both shores, and two islands which possess
meadows, and which are 3 or 4 leagues from the fort in ascending.
There is a great extent of meadows which the sea used to cover, and which
the Sieur d’Aulnay had drained. It bears now fine and good wheat,
and since the English have been masters of the country, the residents who
were lodged near the fort have for the most part abandoned there houses
and have gone to settle on the upper part of the river. They have
made their clearings below and above this great meadow, which belongs at
present to Madame de La Tour. There they have again drained other
lands which bear wheat in much greater abundance than those which they
cultivated round the fort, good though those were. All the inhabitants
there are the ones whome Monsieur le Commandeur deRazilly had brought from
France to La Have; since that time they have multiplied much at Port Royal,
where they have a great number of cattle and swine."
[Denys, Description, p. 123-124]